Bandeau CJB Back to Welcome Back to Welcome
EXPLORATION CONSERVATION RESEARCH TRANSMISSION PROTECTION
Museums of Geneva
 MUSEUM
PRACTICAL INFORMATION
KNOW HOW
FRANÇAIS | ENGLISH  

Follow us on Facebook !

interroGE - la réponse est humaine

Fil rss des CJB*

 * = may be in french

Opening Hours
Address and Access
Services
Contacts
Shortcut*
Scientific Activities*
Teaching*
Publications*
Library
Databases
A.-P. de Candolle: une passion, un Jardin
 
logo RBG
On line catalogue
séparation
logo RERO
Member of Library Network of Western Switzerland
séparation
Service de renseignements à distance
séparation
Bibliography
"Ethnobotanical Gardens (in French)"
séparation
Swiss infodesk
Partner of SwissInfoDesk, the virtual reference desk about Switzerland
séparation
Linnaeus Link
Partner of Linnaeus Link Project
séparation
BIS Logo
Member of Bibliothèque Information Suisse
séparation
EBHL Logo
Member of the European Botanical and Horticultural Libraries Group
séparation
ombrage

Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques de la Ville de Genève


WelcomeLibraryBackground
impression
séparation

Library

Background
Practical Information
Library's staff
The Catalogues and Electronic Ressources
Services
The List of New Acquisitions
The Collections
Guided visits
Bibliography

historique

At its conception (in 1824), the library was quite modest, and would stay that way throughout the 19th century. It developed slowly through acquisitions, gifts, and bequests. Its expansion began at the beginning of the 20th century, and more precisely when Emile Burnat, a botanist from Vaud, donated his valuable botanical collection of 3000 volumes to the City of Geneva. It contained elements of the collections of Louis Leresche, Samuel Bridel and Judge Abraham Thomas. Soon afterwards, the Rockefeller Foundation ensured that subsequent new acquisitions could be made.

historique

In 1920, the famous library of De Candolle was donated by the family of the last living botanist of this name. This marvelous family collection can be compared to those of the largest national museums. Another valuable element to be added to the Conservatory was the Boissier library: it was given as a permanent gift in 1943 by the University of Geneva who had received it through the generosity of the Boissier family. Afterwards, the Library was able to acquire useful complements to its collection, such as the library of the "Société botanique de Genève" and the "Société genevoise d’horticulture" as well as those of the "Institut de botanique générale" and of the "Laboratoires de pharmacognosie et de pharmacie galénique" of the University.

Since then the City of Geneva, the guardian of these riches, has kept the Library up to date through regular acquisitions.

historique

Today, the Library contains about 120'000 volumes. It has a fine collection of pre-Linnaean works from the 16th and 17th centuries. It also has a remarkable series of folios and botanical quartos of the 18th century, many of which are decorated with engravings. It contains essentially all works and articles in the field of floristics as well as on the taxonomy of plants. One can also find a collection of works relating to the voyages and botanical exploration, books on applied botany and a comprehensive collection of the other branches of botany.