Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques de la Ville de Genève
The Conservatory and Botanical Garden of the City of Geneva
The naturalist spirit that reigned in Geneva during the 1800's allowed A.-P. de Candolle to found the first large Botanical Garden in Geneva with the support of the Geneva population.
Situated in the current Park of Bastions, the Garden had to move at the beginning of 20th century to bigger premises. It gave up its place to the University buildings and to the "Wall of the Reformers".
The installation, within the Parc de l'Ariana which extended at that time to the edge of the lake, of the area named La Console, took place in 1904. The Conservatory occupies a building there that was specifically built to house the herbaria and the garden occupies a surface of 7.5 ha. The first alteration work was confided to Jules Allemand. The Greenhouses and Orangery, that has stayed in Bastions, were finally reconstructed in 1908 and 1911 in La Console.
The acquisition of the farm of Duval in 1954, and the Terre de Pregny in 1978, increased the territory of the Garden to encompass a surface of 18 ha. A new building was inaugurated along the railway line in 1971 to house laboratories and herbarium collections. It was enlarged in 1974 to accommodate two-thirds of the herbarium collections and all of the library.
The State of Geneva gave to the CJB the responsibility of the maintenance of the domain of Penthes's domain, adjoining the current Garden in the direction of Jura, visitors to the Botanical garden can presently walk in 28 ha of nature near to the City.
With more than 200 years of history and fidelity to the spirit of its founders, our Institute carries out its missions of exploration, research, education and protection, while continually enriching its collections which confer on us one of the first places in the world among Botanical Institutions.
The CJB offers to their numerous visitors a space of beauty and relaxation, of instruction on the conservation of a too often threatened nature, while leading numerous regional, national and international research programmes, using the most modern techniques (satellite remote sensing, molecular biology, Geographic Information Systems, in vitro culture, automatic sequencing of DNA).