Bandeau CJB Back to Welcome Back to Welcome
EXPLORATION CONSERVATION RESEARCH TRANSMISSION PROTECTION
Museums of Geneva
 MUSEUM
PRACTICAL INFORMATION
KNOW HOW
FRANÇAIS | ENGLISH  

Follow us on Facebook !

interroGE - la réponse est humaine

Fil rss des CJB*

 * = may be in french

Opening Hours
Address and Access
Services
Contacts
Shortcut*
Scientific Activities*
Teaching*
Publications*
Library
Databases
A.-P. de Candolle: une passion, un Jardin
 
Contact :

Gisèle VISINAND
Chargée de communication
Tél. (+41) 22 418 51 08
séparation
Download all our information panels The passion for knowledge
séparation
Download all our information panels The Garden, 200 years of passion
séparation
Télécharger l'affiche (jpg 692 Ko)
séparation
Les rendez-vous des expositions (pdf 259 Ko)
séparation
Télécharger le programme complet du bicentenaire (pdf 4.32 Mo)
séparation
Espace presse
séparation
ombrage

Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques de la Ville de Genve


WelcomeA.-P. de Candolle: The Passion for Knowledge
impression
séparation

A.-P. de Candolle: The Passion for Knowledge

A.-P. de Candolle: une passion, un Jardin

The Conservatory and Botanical Garden of the City of Geneva pays homage to its founder Augustin-Pyramus de Candolle (1778-1841) through to related exhibitions, The Passion for Knowledge and The Garden, 200 years of passion.

THE PASSION FOR KNOWLEDGE

This exhibition highlights the life and work of one of the most celebrated botanists of the nineteenth century, born in Geneva but attaining international stature. An heir to the enlightenment and emblematic figure in the history of botany, Candolle led a nomadic career between Paris, Montpellier and Geneva pursuing research topics proper to the late eighteenth-century. He also personified the impassioned citizen-scholar of the nineteenth century leading a prominent role in the social life of Geneva. He tirelessly assembled an enormous herbarium and produced a vast body of scientific work while devoting himself to institutionalizing, professionalizing, and popularizing botany. His founding of the Botanical Garden Geneva at the Bastions in Geneva in 1817 was one of his most outstanding achievements.

The originality of his theoretical ideas, the unity of his thought, and the richness of his observations of the plant world created a structure favoring the rise of the greatest figures in Botany.

The exhibit is arranged outdoors surrounding the Villa Le Chêne, and continues into the adjacent library, where items which belonged to A.-P. de Candolle or form part of our collections are on display.


THE GARDEN, 200 YEARS OF PASSION
This second exhibition consists of a diverse display imparting the rich history of the botanical garden—the living collections of plants—from its inception at Park Bastions in 1817 to the organically-managed garden of today at its current site.
Envisioned as a chronological stroll, it consists of 16 beds illustrating the special expertise of the gardeners as well as a range of horticultural techniques developed over two centuries of botany in Geneva.

Some highlights from the garden’s storied history include: the collection of fruit trees and grape vines of Candolle’s original “botany school”, the rock gardens designed by Jules Allemand in 1904, the building of the Winter Garden conservatory and the emblematic temperate greenhouse, or the establishment of the rose collection.

The heritage by A.-P de Candolle proved rich. The arrival of the Botanical Garden in Bastions in 1817 helped erase the troubling memories of the Genevan Revolution of 1794. After moving to its current location in 1904, the garden bloomed even brighter. The constant expansion and the growth in activities at the CJBG attest to the fertility of this uninterrupted line of plants and planting begun by Candolle and bringing us to this anniversary. Two hundred years of passion in the service of plants and the public, retraced in an open-air exhibition, a true challenge met by our passionate gardeners!

This exhibition is presented just below the Villa Le Chêne

The exhibitions are bilingual
Hours: 8h à 19h30
May 18 to October 15, 2017
Entrance free of charge